Whatâ€™s New in Green Power?
This past year was a milestone one for Santee Cooper and its efforts to promote the use of renewable energy. The reason: 2021 marked the 20th anniversary of Santee Cooper first converting landfill-derived methane gas into electricity for consumer use — making it the first South Carolina utility to offer renewable energy to its customers.
This development also marked the introduction of “Green Power” in the Palmetto State. (Some may ask: “What is Green Power?” The answer: It’s the most promising kind of renewable energy, as it represents the renewable energy technologies and resources that provide the highest-level environmental benefits — like wind, solar, geothermal, biogas and small-scale, low-impact hydroelectric power.)
Now a new year has begun, and Santee Cooper continues on its quest to encourage the use of renewable energy. And moving into 2022, Santee Cooper is proud to provide green electricity for a long list of Green Power Events in our service area.
The Green Power Events currently planned for this year include:
- RBC Heritage — The 54th Annual RBC Heritage, to be played April 11-17, 2022, on Hilton Head Island, is held at the Pete Dye and Jack Nicklaus-designed Harbour Town Golf Links — widely recognized as one of the nation’s top golf courses. One of only five invitational events on the PGA Tour calendar, the tournament is well-known for its family friendliness and Lowcountry hospitality.
- Blue Crab Festival — Held on the historic Little River waterfront May 14-15, 2022, the World Famous Blue Crab Festival will serve up a wide selection of fresh, local seafood and other festival food options. Other highlights will include scenic views, live music from local artists, and an array of arts & crafts vendors. Come out and see why this fest has been voted the Best Annual Event/Festival on the Grand Strand by Sun News readers for over 8 consecutive years!
- Moncks Corner Kiwanis Golf — This mid-May event brings golfers out to the area links to compete for prizes and raise funds for charitable causes.
- Conway Riverfest — Held in late June in and around the Conway Marina, Conway Riverfest promises to, once again, be a blast for all who attend. The many reasons to make the trek this annual event include live entertainment, an Artisan Market, a Business Expo, a Kids Zone, a golf cart parade and the night’s grand finale — a fireworks show over the Waccamaw River!
- CCU football game — As the Coastal Carolina University Chanticleers strive for another season of gridiron success in the Sun Belt Conference, one to-be-determined home game will feature a collection of fan favorite attractions powered by Santee Cooper Green Power.
- Little River ShrimpFest — Being held on Oct. 8 and 9 in 2022, the 17th Annual Little River ShrimpFest will bring hordes of seafood lovers to the historic Little River Waterfront for oceans of flavors and fun. Culinary highlights of this year’s festival will include plenty of shrimp and other local seafood, along with festival food favorites. And to keep attendees entertained, the event will offer live music on two stages, more than 100 different vendors, stilt walkers, balloon artists and more.
- Loris Bog-Off Festival — Set for Saturday, Oct. 15, 2022, the Loris Bog-Off Festival celebrates a culinary specialty unique to the Lowcountry — that beloved blend of rice, chicken, onion, sausage and special spices known as Chicken Bog. Attractions at this annual event, held in downtown Loris since 1980, will include a Chicken Bog cooking contest, a car show, live entertainment, arts & crafts vendors, and more.
- Celebrate The Season — Making spirits bright from late November through the end of year at Old Santee Canal Park in Moncks Corner, Celebrate the Season offers a number of ways to enjoy the holiday season. Among them, festive attractions and events on offer during this 11th annual month-long celebration include the Holiday Lights Driving Tour, the Tinsel Trot holiday fun run and multiple holiday fairs.
- City of Myrtle Beach’s Winter Wonderland at the Beach — Staged from just after Thanksgiving through the first week of January at Burroughs & Chapin Pavilion Place on the downtown Myrtle Beach oceanfront, Winter Wonderland at the Beach treats visitors to a walking tour filled with holiday magic and twinkling lights. Highlights include light displays and an ice skating rink, plus holiday-themed entertainment at Plyler Park on the weekends and a number of special events.
Looking to plan a Green Power Event for your business or organization? It’s easy and affordable — and when you do, Santee Cooper will assist you with your marketing needs in accordance with your event’s scale. For more information, visit santeecooper.com or call 843-347-3399 ext. 3029.